Monday - Friday - 9:00 - 4:00

Hip Replacement

anatomy of hip joint

Anatomy of the hip joint

hip prothesis

Hip prothesis

The hip joint, surrounding muscles and tissue are important structures in carrying out day to day activities.

The hip joint is a ball and socket formed between the large thigh bone called the femur and the pelvis.  The main muscles spanning the hip joint include the hip flexor, extensor, abductor and adductor muscles which help to rotate the hip joint nearly all directions. Movement and support of the hip joint is assisted by the other joints of the leg and pelvis as well as the muscles of the entire lower limb and body’s trunk or core.

There are a number of mechanisms that can cause the hip joint to become damaged or weakened, ultimately leading to arthritis. Arthritis is damage to the boney surfaces that form the joint.  It causes pain, stiffness and deformity.  Arthritis of the hip makes it difficult walk, get up from a chair, climb stairs,get in and out of bed and tie your shoes, among other activities.  As it worsens, arthritis can even cause pain at rest or at night.  Arthritis can be hereditary or caused by injury or obesity, however its affects can be lessened by a healthy and active lifestyle.

Hip replacement involves removing the damaged surfaces of the hip joint and replacing them with artificial components called prostheses.  With the aid of rehabilitation, a hip replacement can result in reduced pain, improved mobility, strength and function resulting in a better quality of life.


esearch has shown that joint replacement is very effective at achieving these outcomes in most people. For persons who are physically and emotionally ready for Joint Replacement, there is roughly a 90% chance of being satisfied with the outcomes of surgery. For the remaining 10% there are some known and many unknown reasons for less than ideal results.

Complications such as infection or blood clots do occur in less than 1% of patients and can lead to less than ideal surgical outcomes and prolonged recovery. Other important factors such as realistic expectations and sufficient recovery of function are also very important.

It is important to understand your particular risk level for surgical complications and what you can expect after surgery along with the efforts you will undertake to restore your quality of life. Talk to your surgeon about your risk levels, expectations and rehabilitation as it will assist with your decision making for surgery.

Walking Is Man's Best Medicine

Although it was many years ago, the statement by Hippocrates holds the truth to healthy lifestyles today. However many people are unable to walk or take an active role in their health due to the pain and limitations caused by Arthritis. At Concordia Joint Replacement Group, we provide options to reduce pain and improve the wellbeing of persons affected by Arthritis.

We strive for excellence in the clinical care of patients undergoing joint replacement of the hip or knee through high quality standards for patient safety, patient education, rehabilitation and surgical techniques. The team at the Concordia Joint Replacement Group and the Concordia Hospital in the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority value research and the latest strategies to achieve high levels of patient satisfaction.

Make A Donation

The Concordia Joint Replacement Group is supported by The Concordia Foundation, Manitoba, Canada.

Registered Charitable Number
13036 3336RR0001

Charitable tax receipts will be issued from The Concordia Foundation. Please address cheque to The Concordia Foundation and designate your gift for the Arthroplasty Research Chair at Concordia.


Where to find us?

Suite 310-1155 Concordia Ave
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R2K 2M9
Phone Number