Monday - Friday - 9:00 - 4:00

Knee Replacement

anatomy of knee

Anatomy of the knee joint

The knee joint, surrounding muscles and tissue are important structures in carrying out day to day activities. The knee joint is a complex hinge formed between the large thigh bone called the femur and the large shin bone, called the tibia, covered by the knee cap or patella.

The main muscles spanning the knee joint include the front thigh muscles or quadriceps and the back thigh muscles, the hamstrings. The knee joint is assisted by the other joints of the leg and pelvis as well as the muscles of the entire lower limb and body’s trunk or core. There are a number of mechanisms that can cause the knee joint to become damaged or weakened, ultimately leading to arthritis.

Arthritis is damage to the boney surfaces that form the joint. It causes pain, stiffness and deformity. Arthritis of the knee makes it difficult walk, get up from a chair, kneel or squat, climb stairs among other activities. As it worsens, arthritis can even cause pain at rest or at night. Arthritis can be hereditary or caused by injury or obesity, however its affects can be lessened by a healthy and active lifestyle.
Knee replacement involves removing the damaged surfaces of the knee joint and replacing them with artificial components called prostheses (Watch a Knee Replacement Video).   With the aid of rehabilitation, a knee replacement can reduce pain, improve mobility, strength and function resulting in a better quality of life.
Research has shown that joint replacement is very effective at achieving these outcomes in most people. For persons who are physically and emotionally ready for Joint Replacement, there is roughly an 80% chance of being satisfied with the outcomes of surgery. For the remaining 20% there are some known and many unknown reasons for less than ideal results.  Complications such as infection or blood clots do occur in less than 1% of patients and can lead to poorer surgical outcomes and prolonged recovery. Other important factors such as realistic expectations and sufficient recovery of function are also very important.  It is important to understand your particular risk level for surgical complications and what you can expect after surgery along with the efforts you will undertake to restore your quality of life.  Talk to your surgeon about your risk levels, expectation and rehabilitation as it will assist with your decision making for surgery.

Walking Is Man's Best Medicine

Although it was many years ago, the statement by Hippocrates holds the truth to healthy lifestyles today. However many people are unable to walk or take an active role in their health due to the pain and limitations caused by Arthritis. At Concordia Joint Replacement Group, we provide options to reduce pain and improve the wellbeing of persons affected by Arthritis.

We strive for excellence in the clinical care of patients undergoing joint replacement of the hip or knee through high quality standards for patient safety, patient education, rehabilitation and surgical techniques. The team at the Concordia Joint Replacement Group and the Concordia Hospital in the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority value research and the latest strategies to achieve high levels of patient satisfaction.

Make A Donation

The Concordia Joint Replacement Group is supported by The Concordia Foundation, Manitoba, Canada.

Registered Charitable Number
13036 3336RR0001

Charitable tax receipts will be issued from The Concordia Foundation. Please address cheque to The Concordia Foundation and designate your gift for the Arthroplasty Research Chair at Concordia.


Where to find us?

Suite 310-1155 Concordia Ave
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R2K 2M9
Phone Number